Tuesday, March 25, 2014

My Good Friend, NED

Today is a great day. I got my first follow-up scans done a few weeks ago and they pointed out some tiny lung nodules that weren't in the write-ups of my previous scans. My general feeling was that these nodules meant the cancer was back, and my chances of living were not all that great. I wasn't depressed about it, but just thought that was how it was.

I found out today that they compared the scans closely and the nodules have not changed since my April 2013 scans. Which means the nodules are considered benign and I am NED, no evidence of disease!!! I have more time!!! I was on my way to physical therapy with Michael and I cried tears of the purest joy. The sun was bright, I laughed, cried, danced along to Katy Perry, and realized that I miss my family so much it hurts, but I am so grateful to be alive. And in that moment I felt very strongly that my dad, Amber, and Daniel are happy too. My family, that spent so many hours researching treatments, flying back and forth to visit my mom and I, making home movies in support of me, and taking care of me while I was sick is not here, but they are still pulling for me from the other side.

I truly feel overwhelmed with happiness and gratitude for how beautiful life is and for the love in my family. I don't know how long I'll live for (it turns out none of us do) but at least today it looks like I've got more time than I thought I had. NED, you are my bff. Stick around for awhile?


*Disclaimer: This was actually written on Friday.

8 comments:

  1. What a heartfelt post. And the happiest news I've heard today. I'm all in favor of you sticking around!!! I love you Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such happy news! Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WONDERFUL news!!!! :-D Your attitude is amazing! I absolutely adore your family, and you are simply a sunbeam of inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Crystal! I'm crying tears of joy too! Such wonderful news!!!! Thank you for YOU and all that you do and are. *big hugs* I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Princess Crystal, we are rejoicing with you---amazed at your sensitive heart and deep love for your family and faith in our Savior. In your post, I can almost feel your gratitude and joy. Oh how we love you! Grandma and Grandpa Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, your last post was so long ago...would you update us if you have a moment? I would love to hear how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Mrs. C!!! This is Eliza (note passer/shortie and Annalyse (tall one) from fifth grade (four years ago), when you taught at hobble creek! We miss and love you, and we always talk about how you were are favorite teacher!

    ReplyDelete